Monday, July 06, 2009

Red Lion Hotel - Port Angeles

I wanted out of the condo and out of the city. I always do. I've used up all of Tim's vacation in planning out the entire year with camping and a number of other trips. I've always wanted to spend some time on the Olympic Peninsula, so I thought I would take advantage of the three day weekend. I looked around and figured that Port Angeles would be the best central point for doing everything I wanted to do. I think I was right.

In doing my usual research for where to stay, I found that Port Angeles is not brimming with hotel rooms on the water, as you might expect. I'm sure there are some out of town a bit, but I couldn't find any online other than the Red Lion and I didn't see any when driving through the town. It is important to point out that I have an aversion to hotel chains I haven't heard of, so those are usually removed from the list of possibilities right from the beginning (I don't remember seeing any of those on the water either). I also don't usually look at hotels in the national parks, since I assume they charge more and may also be run down (I'm sure I'm often wrong and missing out here). I liked the idea of staying in a larger city and on the water, so I booked the room at the Red Lion.

I ended up being pleasantly surprised by a few things and a little disappointed by a few others. The first impression was, as always, at the front desk where the woman helping me was very friendly and personable (even if the lobby seemed a little unprofessional - loud music clearly meant for the workers and she was singing along while she helped me). I had searched for information regarding the hotel's pet policy since we were bringing along our 75 pound German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix, but couldn't find it. I made a note that we were bringing him and for them to let me know if this was a problem. I later found that the pet policy was right on their website, I just missed the link (it's under "amenities" then the pet policy link). I was told that the fee would be $20 per night, but it was waived if we were a Red Lion club member.

Entering the hotel and then our room, it was clear that it was older. The place was dated (as I've found most Red Lions to be), but for the most part they had repainted or replaced what was needed. The shower was in need of a re-grouting and the fan was rusted out, but other than that everything was in very nice shape and was clean. Each room seemed to have a private deck the width of the room (in our case looking out on the harbor). I was instantly impressed and amazed by the view. Of course it was a beautiful weekend weather-wise, so that made it all the better. The room looked right out at the spit, a freighter anchored in the harbor, the city's pier and the ferries that come and go to Victoria, British Columbia. I was quite happy with my choice of hotel.

The next morning, I was a little less impressed with my choice of hotel when I realized that we had gone through the night without air conditioning and the room was pretty warm. I didn't bother saying anything though, since it was right on the water and the air could cool the room on its own just fine. I also forgot to mention it when I checked out, so I can't say that they wouldn't have come right out and fixed it. When we came back from touring around the area, our keys didn't work. Since it was both of our keys, I have to assume that it was programmed wrong the first time. Mistakes happen, no big deal. I went up to the front desk and explained that they weren't working. The woman that helped me this time was rude and didn't apologize for the mistake. She acted like it happened all the time and almost seemed put out by me for asking to be let back into my room. This was the only negative of the experience here.

That night (July 4th), once everyone started camping out along the path in front of the hotel, I realized that we were going to be in perfect position for the fireworks show put on by the community. This was a complete surprise; I did not book the hotel room with any intention of seeing fireworks (this may explain the somewhat high fee, although the view, location and being the only place in town that could offer these things may make it this price all summer). The show was not bad at all for a town of 18,000 people. We very much enjoyed it.

All in all, this is a very nice hotel. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone overly picky about service or quality, but if you want a place to stay with a beautiful view right in the heart of Port Angeles, I definitely recommend it.

Here are the specifics:

Fee: Averaged $175.10 for our stay per night, plus 10.4% tax
Pets: Pets are welcome. The fee is $20 per night, which is waived if you are a member of their rewards club.
Pool: Yes (in the middle of the parking lot)
Elevators: No (2 story building)
Internet: Free wireless - decent quality
Parking: Free, uncovered
Best Season: Summer for outdoor activities
Address: 221 N. Lincoln - Port Angeles, WA 98362
Nearest town: Port Angeles, Washington (located downtown)
Nearest 10,000+ city: Port Angeles, Washington (located downtown)
County: Clallam, Washington
My rating (out of 6): 2 for service, 3 for amenities, 5 for view - average 3.5
More Information: Red Lion Hotels

My Current Location: Work, Portland, Oregon


City Pier from hotel room - slightly foggy morning


Boats in the harbor from hotel room


View from hotel room at night

No comments: