Saturday, July 04, 2009

Inaugural Posts

Ah, inaugural posts of a blog. For some blogs, this would be the first and last post. Hopefully this isn't true of this one. Think of it as a New Year's resolution. Purely coincidence, but it is my birthday, and thus, the start of a new year for me. I have amassed a collection of travel information that is either sorted into a spreadsheet or sitting in a box waiting for its place. No matter where it ends up, this information never seems to be put to any valuable use. This was pointed out to me by my boyfriend tonight. He has a way of criticizing what I do that makes it impossible to tell if he's trying to help or if he just likes to criticize. I suppose I do the same to him. His blog is on here under "vinfotech" if you stumbled across this blog in your search for information related to Cisco information. It probably doesn't help that I've now referenced Cisco, since that will now come up in someone's search. I digress . . .

I suppose I should come to a point. The point of this blog, perhaps. The point is that I am full to the brim with opinions. The largest group of these opinions would involve something related to travel. This may not always mean travel for me, but it will always be something that could be travel for someone. Being based in Portland, Oregon, this will often mean a restaurant or activity in the area. Saying this, however, I love love love love to travel. I love New York City, I love Chicago, but 99 times out of a hundred the travel postings in this blog will be quite a bit more off the wall (read, smaller). Right now, I'm in little ol' Port Angeles, Washington (hopefully that will become a post).

My goal is to see everything the United States has to offer. From there, who knows. I will travel out of the country, but I believe that there is so much variety that this country has to offer. Oregon (my home state) has just about every climate and every type of scenery imagineable. From ocean to desert, from rivers and lakes to mountains and forests, from city to farmland, I honestly can't think of anything it doesn't offer. Expand this out to the rest of the country and the chances of missing out on something decreases. I'm of course not saying that other parts of the world don't offer something worth seeing. I can't wait to make it to Thailand to take in the culture, New Zealand for the beautiful scenery, Germany for the history and Fiji for the . . . well . . . scenery again. This undertaking will focus on my goal of visiting every state (34 at last count), every county (see my mob-rule page), every city (I have something on Trip Advisor for this, but I couldn't tell you where it is), every damn (forgive my language!) campsite, trail, monument, park, waterfall and tree in this country (visiting all of this in the entire world may be a bit large of an undertaking - the country makes it manageable, right?).

I know there are a million travel sites out there, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to bring something different. My perspective (as is indicated by the title) is a gay man's, but I think it will translate well to anyone that likes to drive, camp, hike, eat or just see anything and everything. I'll be surprised if I get three people to visit, but maybe my dream of being helpful to someone will come to fruition. Maybe one day I'll even write that book I've never known how to start. Until then, hopefully I'll be able to give someone some kind of helpful information. If you really want, take a look at the counties I've visited (http://www.mob-rule.com/counties/user-gifs/ralverde.gif again unless you missed it above). If one of these is highlighted (especially those in the Northwest), I might just be able to give some insight. Maybe not, but I'd love to try.

Time to get to it. It's late though, maybe tomorrow.

Location: Port Angeles, WA

No comments: