Friday, July 24, 2009

O'Dysius Hotel

Let's go way back. The year is 2008. The month - November. It's Thanksgiving, to be exact. Tim, the dog and I decide to get away and have a holiday with just the three of us. Okay, the dog didn't have much say in the matter and we had just adopted him two weeks before.

I thought we should take advantage of the long weekend and splurge a bit. Stay at a nice hotel on the coast. Good idea. Wrong idea for "splurging". This hotel, the O'Dysius, is somewhere to stay only if you . . . no, there's no reason to stay here.

Again, I'm feeling a bit lazy tonight, so I'll just re-post what I posted on Google Maps. Mind you, this is the only time I've been treated badly enough to be moved to post a review on Google Maps (and report it to AAA as well).

"My boyfriend and I decided to spend Thanksgiving weekend at the beach. I've always thought the O'Dysius looked quite nice. It is newer and located right on the D River. I couldn't remember whether or not it was right on the beach or if it was slightly off. Don't be deceived by the pictures on their website. We had a fourth floor room in the five story hotel. The view did look over the ocean, but there was a parking lot and another hotel in the way. This was, however, forgivable.
The first night we were there, we went to put some food we had purchased in the fridge. There was leftover food in the fridge that was not removed when the room was cleaned last. The smell of garlic lingered throughout the remaining four days of our visit. This was, however, forgivable.
The hotel was in adequate shape. Overall still new, but clearly not maintained with high standards. The walls were dingy, the couch was worn out and the paint on the deck railing was chipped and pieces were falling on the deck. This was, however, forgivable.
The hotel is clearly geared toward people that are over 65. There is nothing to forgive for this, but being 30 it didn't appeal to me.
The price was higher than everyone else in town and they charged $25 a night for bringing a dog (again more than anyone else). This was, however, forgivable.
The real PROBLEM was that I went to take the dog out at 6am and couldn't get back into the building. I didn't bring my cell phone with me, so I had to go to the D River public phone and call my boyfriend to come let me in. The card reader on the door wasn't working. I would have forgiven this if the response to my concern wasn't "Well, just remember to bring your cell phone." Rather than apologizing and offering to pay for the $15 collect phone calls that I had to make (three to wake him up), they just told me that they have had the same problem and that I should make sure I bring my cell phone. It is completely unacceptable to not invest money in your hotel to fix basic necessities such as these. It is even more unacceptable to not apologize and make your guests create a workaround. I would take a lower quality hotel with friendly customer service (such as the Red Lion in Coos Bay that we stayed at after staying here for half the price) any day. I will definitely never return to the O'Dysius."

Here are the specifics:
Fee: Averaged $131.92 for our stay per night, including tax. Varies greatly depending on room.
Pets: Pets are welcome, the only good thing about this place. Of course, they charge $25/night.
Pool: Yes, small, practically on the highway
Elevators: Yes
Internet: Free wireless
Parking: Free, some covered, some uncovered
Best Season: Summer for outdoor activities, winter for storm watching
Address: 120 NW Inlet Ave - Lincoln City, OR‎ 97367
Nearest town: Lincoln City, Oregon (located in town)
Nearest 10,000+ city: Newport, Oregon (Actually just under 10,000 per census, but probably higher and has the amenities of a 10,000+ city)
County: Lincoln, Oregon
My rating (out of 6): 0 for service, 3 for amenities, 1 for view, 1 for quality - average 1
More Information: O'Dysius Hotel

My Current Location: Work, Portland, Oregon

No comments: