Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ape Gave

Oh Ape Cave. I've been here so many times, but I still want to go back every couple years. There's nothing wrong with that, I say. I think it's the challenge, which makes me think that doing something more challenging might be a good thing. Maybe it's time to try climbing a small mountain (maybe nearby Mt. St. Helens) or . . . I can't think of anything else that's challenging that I'd be willing to do. I'll think about it.

Today was wet. Very wet. I'm no cave-ologist, but it seems that the wetter it is outside, the wetter it is inside. It would make sense, that water has to soak into something. It wasn't wet throughout the cave, though, mostly just near the entrances and other close to the surface areas. The parking lot was about 2/3 full when we got there and overflowing when we left, but it never seemed packed in the cave. It seemed busier than other times I've been there (keep in mind that it's essentially the same temperature in the cave year round, so you could certainly do it in the middle of winter if you can get your car through the snow.), but it never was annoyingly busy. This was especially true in the upper half of the cave. Crowds seem to naturally spread out throughout the cave, and given that this one is one of the longer ones out there, it's not hard for this to happen.

The lower cave is mandatory for one of my visits. There's nothing special about it, but I have a feeling I'd feel like I just didn't do it justice if I didn't do the whole thing. It's a relatively simple walk out and back. It is made more difficult by small amounts of rock scrambling and a very uneven floor, but once you do the upper cave, you won't think the lower was a challenge at all. I call them the upper and lower cave, but really it's just up from the middle entrance and down from the middle entrance as it's all one big cave with a hole in the middle. The upper cave is certainly more challenging. It requires climbing over large rock falls, squeezing through tight spaces, crouching low to get through, watching your head in a few spots and the ever-ominous "6 foot rock wall". I do believe, however, that the rock wall had a new foot hole added to it this time that wasn't there before. Over time, it's seemed like the wall was getting smoother and smoother from so many people climbing up it trying to grab on to whatever they could (and likely breaking off some of what they grabbed). While I prefer that things remain natural, I don't think this seemingly new addition is out of line. It was getting nearly impossible and certainly . . . as I said . . . ominous. There was a line at the wall this time of backed up people trying to figure out how they'd get up, but it is nothing but entertaining watching them try. I was a little nervous as always, but glad I didn't let it conquer me as once I got to the top, I saw 10-12 year old girls that had made the same climb. If they can do it, I can do it, right? I'm certainly not THAT old yet!

If you have no problem hiking more difficult above ground trails, you should certainly visit the lower cave at least once. If you like a bit more of a challenge, give the upper cave a try. It's certainly worth the wet, cold trip.

Here are the specifics:
Fee: Northwest Forest Pass required (National Parks pass accepted. I believe the current fee for a one day pass is $5)
Pets: Prohibited
Facilities: Restrooms at trailhead, picnicking, viewpoints nearby
Attractions: Cave, trail, native plants, views, Mt. St. Helens nearby (volcanic monument)
Round Trip Hike: 3 miles in cave (includes out and back for lower cave and through upper cave), 1 1/2 mile return trail
Hiking Difficulty (out of 5): 5
Camping: No
Season: Year round (I believe), check road conditions
Coordinates: 46.108086, -122.211877
Governmental Agency Land: US Forest Service - Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument
Nearest town: Cougar, Washington (11 miles)
Nearest 10,000+ city: Vancouver, Washington (58 miles)
County: Skamania, Washington
My rating (out of 6): 5 for beauty, 3 for crowds, 5 for play availability, 5 for surroundings - 5 average
More Information: Ape Caves

My Current Location: Portland International Airport - Portland, OR

Cave Marker:Cave upper entrance/exit:
Meat ball:

No comments: